This past week I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a week in Missouri with my husband and his family. With everything going on, these are the precautions and steps I took to be sure I was safe during my travels.
1. Face mask. It sounds like kind of a duh, but face masks aren’t required in most Missouri establishments. Not only did I wear my mask in the airport and on the planes, but also when I went grocery shopping and out and about with the family.
2. Planning things outdoors and at home. Bruce’s family has a lake house right on the edge of Table Rock lake, so we spent lots of time there social distancing on the water as well as taking walks and canoeing down the buffalo river. We also played pool and ping pong at the house when it was raining. Doing things outdoors and away from a lot of people makes things fun and safe.
3. Hand sanitizer. It might sound like another duh thing to do, but you’d be surprised how easily you can forget things on vacation. After every stop and after touching things I would not touch my face and hand sanitize as soon as we were back in the car. Just these simple steps can help keep you safe!
4. Wiping off common surfaces on the plane and off. First thing I did, and always do when on a plane is wipe off the tray table, headrest, arm rests, seatbelts, and any other surface I might be tempted to touch. Also wiping down any lakeside chairs or handles that other people might have touched.
5. Keeping up a good vitamin and sleep schedule. I usually start taking emergency a week or so before traveling and a week or so after to get my immune system prepared for a trip. I also try and sleep as much as possible to give my body time to fight off anything I might have caught or some into contact with.
When life seems overwhelming, and everything seems bleak, I like to do or see things that make me smile! Here’s a list of a few things that make me happy and are sure to bring a smile to your face every time you come home:
1. A beautiful book of photography, fashion, history, or even food! Place this on your coffee table, tv stand, or side table and look through it anytime you need a smile.
2. A beautiful piece of art to hang on your wall, place it somewhere everyone can see it or hide it in your bedroom for yourself.
3. Candles add ambiance and can make your whole apartment smell like a far off place. Grab a few and sink into a blissful escape.
4. Even though most of us might not be getting ready these days, a beautiful mirror can add depth and light to an otherwise dark and dreary room.
5. A new blanket! Get comfy under the covers for your next binging marathon. Pick an extra fuzzy one for those cold nights or a weighted one to help reduce anxiety.
Stuck at home with seemingly nothing to do? Here are a few things that always keep me entertained when home seems more like a confinement than a sanctuary.
1. Clean or organize that place that you have been putting off. For me, it’s my closet, for you maybe a garage. Make a plan to start and stick to it.
2. Create something beautiful, whether it be a poem, story, drawing, or future Christmas card. Now is the time to let those creative juices flow?
3. Not a artsy type? Grab an adult coloring book and color your day away. This is something I like to do when I few extra anxious or when I’m just tired of looking at my phone screen.
4. Board games and card games! Grab a deck of cards or that old game of checkers up in your closet. Make a tournament and loser has to wash the dishes.
5. Make a at home circuit training course with jump rope, hula hoops, and weights. Keep your body moving and get your sweat on.
6. Cook something special that you’ve never tried before! Don’t have much in your fridge? Use this website and enter what you have and it will give you different recipes so you don’t have to go running out to the store.
7. Read a book! Grab your favorite author and sit in the sun while escaping your house to another world.
8. If none of these sound exciting, or if you’ve had a long day of work, lay in bed and zone out to a good movie or take a weekend and try to binge watch something you’ve never seen before. Here is a list of a few of my favorites with their streaming platforms:
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – Amazon Prime
Orange is the New Black – Netflix
The Magicians – Netflix
Doctor Who – Amazon Prime
Game of Thrones – HBO
Chernobyl – HBO
Designated Survivor – Netflix
The Path – Hulu
Mad Men – Netflix
The Handmaids Tale – Hulu
Dear White People – Netflix
Good Omens – Amazon Prime
Outlander – Netfllix
Merlin – Netflix
The Man in the High Castle – Amazon Prime